"IT'S NOT THE LENGTH OF THE GESTATION, IT'S THE EXTENT OF THE ATTACHMENT."


Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sam's 4th Birthday



I intended to share Sam's birthday photos with you sooner, but a couple days after his birthday on August 15th, our bunny died and that set me back a bit. I then got really sick for about 2 1/2 weeks but I'm finally feeling better. Here are a few photos from Sam's day.



Kristi sent me these pretty cupcake liners for my birthday (thanks Kristi!) so I utilized them for Sam's cupcakes. I thought they were fresh and fun and Summery, perfect for the hummingbird cupcakes that went in them. I chose hummingbird cake because it's a sweet fruity (pineapple and banana) cake and I thought it was something a 4 year old might like. I'm not totally sure if he would have liked them or not, but I know he would have eaten all that frosting on top of that cupcake! If you'd like the recipe, you can go here.

We sang Happy Birthday to Sam at the cemetery, but after I made these, I stuck a candle in it and sang to him all by myself in the kitchen.



Earlier in the day, I picked up fresh flowers for Mr. H's grandparents as well as for Sam and Jack. We visited each one individually and took them bouquets of flowers. The flowers above were chosen just for the boys. When I went to the grocery store to pick them out, the lady was super helpful. I told her I was needing bouquets to take to the cemetery, and she let me look in their walk-in cooler for the flowers they had just received so I could get the freshest pick. We chatted back and forth for a bit then she asked me who I was honoring and I told her I was taking them out to my sons. She smiled and got quiet and never said anything else after that. I browsed for several more minutes, then smiled and thanked her for her help.


Mr. H's parents joined us at the cemetery for a balloon release. Not one other family member called us on that day (or any other day). I was disappointed and felt like he was forgotten. But I thank my in-laws for asking about his day and wanting to be involved in our plans. I also have some really wonderful friends that either called, emailed or visited them at the cemetery- I love you guys!



After we wrote messages on our 4 balloons, we released them into the sky where they took off! It was interesting to see them soar into the vast blue sky, but remain together. We said our goodbye's, shed a couple tears that blended in with the sweat running down our faces, then we went to dinner at one of my favorite cafes. Afterwards we went home and had those yummy cupcakes.


All in all, it was a beautiful day.

Happy 4th Birthday Sam. We love you!

9 comments:

Virginia said...

I'm so glad your in-laws remembered. No one in either of my families ever says anything.

Hugs, sweetie. Looks like you made it beautiful

The Nanny said...

What a beautiful day for sweet Sam. Big hugs to you all!

Rachel said...

The celebration sounded wonderful.

Celia said...

What a wonderful tribute.

Unknown said...

What a touching day and tribute to your Sam. The thought and love that went into your plans is so beautiful considering how hard birthdays are. I love your balloon idea, I might have to borrow it, because no matter how hard I wish it wasn't my son's birthday is rapidly approaching too. Hugs to you and well wishes

Reese said...

My mother-in-law is the only one who ever remembers Ronan.

Looks like it was a peaceful, beautiful day, Monica.

Remembering Sam.....

XOXO--Reese

erinunbe said...

Sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate Sam! And yes....I thik he would have loved to eat those yummy cupcakes and frosting!!

xoxo Erin

Kristi said...

I'm honored that you used the liners I sent for Sam's day! You always do such a great job of honoring your boys. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Sophie said...

...a happy birthday to your little one. I'm sure he would've loved those cupcakes, they look beautiful and delicious :).