"IT'S NOT THE LENGTH OF THE GESTATION, IT'S THE EXTENT OF THE ATTACHMENT."


Monday, August 18, 2008

All For Sam

Our morning started with staying up til 3 am making cupcakes and cookies for Sam's birthday. I attempted to wake up at 8:49 am for his birth hour, but I was confused in my sleepless stupor and thought it was 8:59, so I woke up about 10 minutes too late. That's what sleep deprivation does to you. Still, I was thinking of him all morning even though I didn't wake up in time.

We got up and went to breakfast at my Mom's house. My mom and aunt called in sick to work and my sister came over with her roommate. My grandmother made breakfast-yum! and we all spent the morning together. It was nice.

At 3, we went to the hospital to see Sam's nurse, Marsha. She helped deliver Sam and even though she wasn't there when Jack was born, she was with us the very next day. She and her husband even attended Jack's funeral. She's such a wonderful lady. We took her oatmeal raisin sandwich cookies (those are her favorite) and a Willow Tree "Remember" figurine.



Later in the evening (when it was cooler) we went to the cemetery to see Sam and Jack. My mom and grandmother joined us there. We brought them purple daisies and a pinwheel. A friend brought them flowers, lots of fun balloons, and a birthday card for Sam (thank you Monica!)

We all wrote messages on balloons and sent them flying high into the clouds. The wind was blowing like crazy and they moved quickly across the sky.



You can barely see the balloons in the last picture, but they're there.

Mr. H played "Happy Birthday" and most of "What A Wonderful World" on his trumpet as we all listened and reflected on his day. He did a great job as we all teared up. Autumn joined in on all of the fun too. All she wanted to do was run around :-)



On the way home, we stopped by Taco Bell for dinner- after all that is what he liked to eat when I was pregnant with him. We capped off dinner with red velvet cupcakes and a wish for the birthday boy.

We love you Sam!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful day spent with family in friends. I wish I could have been there more than in heart my dear. One day maybe I will be. The cupcakes look amazing. Thank you for taking the time to make sure my birthday was a good one in the midst of all your planning and remembrance.

The Nanny said...

I'm glad Sam's day was so sweet...thank you for the picture so we could 'participate,' too. Happy Birthday, sweet Sam.

And on another note, the oatmeal raisin sandwiches and cupcakes looked AMAZING. I mean...my mouth was watering!

Kristi said...

What a wonderful way to honor & remember Sam. I'm glad your mother & grandmother were there too.

Those cookies look yummy!!

Devon said...

what a beautiful day...

you did an amazing job of honoring your son.

thoughts for you today.

Reese said...

A truly beautiful day, Monica....

Rachel said...

You got me all teared up. Sounds like it was a beautiful day.

Virginia said...

I've been thinking of you...

mrsmuelly said...

I'm with Rachel...tears - but they're healing, right? It looks like a truly beautiful birthday for Sam. Actually getting pics of what the balloons say really got me. Good idea, mommy.

BTW, their markers are perfect. Are those footprints?

Becky said...

what a beautiful day! I have been thinking about you all weekend.

I wrote you an email today but then my computer ate it. I'll continue tomorrow...

Know that you are so loved by us!

Monica H said...

mrs. muelly- yes, those are their footprints. of course they're enlarged a bit.

I took pics of the balloons because all of a sudden it got super windy, thunder started to roar and dark clouds started to roll in. I didn't think I had enough time to read them all, so I just took pictures of them all and sent them up.

I love my grandmothers handwriting because for the longest time she didn't know how to write or spell. She usually has someone else sign cards etc, but the balloons she did all by herself. She even asked me how to spell Jack's name. She's so cute.

Anonymous said...

i love the way you remembered jack and sam. i wish sometimes we're more opened to that over here. i now remember gaby and carmel on my blog and in my heart. take care and God bless!

Anonymous said...

i'm so thinking of you and your dh. what you all did was so very special for Sam. we have no rituals in place yet for our girls. perhaps you will inspire me to think of something. when the time is right i guess. M, i refuse to beleive you won't be a mom to a baby you get to keep, you are so good at it.
i'm thinking of your Sam AND Jack.
J

Travelwahine said...

I love how you spent your day with your boys. They are lucky to have a Mom here on earth like you. Thank you for sharing.

wannabe mom said...

i have always admired how you remember your boys. i love all the beautiful things you do. i am glad you and your family had a nice birthday celebration for Sam.

i'm not around much but wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you through the wires.