"IT'S NOT THE LENGTH OF THE GESTATION, IT'S THE EXTENT OF THE ATTACHMENT."


Monday, February 25, 2008

Jack's Birthday In Photos

Jack's birthday was peaceful. Of course there were highs and definitely some lows. The day started out with lows, but it ended up great. My mom ended up showing up for dinner and we all had a pleasant time. I think we honored Jack the best we knew how. We celebrated his life even though he never took a breath. He will always be with us.

These are the favors I made for Jack's birthday. I decorated votives with scrapbook embellishments (dragonflies because they remind me of him). Then we purchased scented votives to put in them. I wrapped them in tissue then placed them in these boxes which I tied with ribbon. Inside the lid of the box, I attached a printed copy of the song I was thinking of the other day.
___________________________________________________

These are the chocolate ganache cupcakes I made for him. I served these for dessert after we had dinner with some close friends and family. They were wonderful and so easy. I made a couple mini cupcakes to send off with the balloons we released.

__________________________________________________


Mr. H played Happy Birthday and What a Wonderful World on his trumpet for Jack. He played the birthday song for Sam as well, but the other was a surprise. We had a trumpeter play this at Jack's funeral, so it was nice to hear him play this for his son. He played flawlessly and with such heart.
__________________________________________________

One of the things Mr. H wrote to Jack was "Thank you for being our son!" That just kills me.
__________________________________________________


See the cupcake? It made the balloon top heavy and it floated upside down the entire way up :-) We tied the other cupcake to the string and it swayed back and forth like a pendulum. I'm really surprised the cupcakes stayed attached.
___________________________________________________

Their headstones with fresh flowers, balloons, stones that read HOPE and BELIEVE and Jack's birthday bear. On the headstones is a car for Sam, a bunny for Jack and their footprints.

And lastly this is the sunset in the rear view mirror on the way home from the cemetery.

13 comments:

The Nanny said...

What a lovely day you had for Jack. Surely he knows just how loved he and his brother are!

Mrs. Collins said...

It was an honor to share Jack's birthday (and Sam's as well) with you. Everything was wonderful and those cupcakes were delicious. I know the boys loved them.

Collins Family said...

I think you did a fine job remembering Jack and making his birthday a special day for him & you all. I know he is smiling down on you all as he watches over his mommy & daddy.

wannabe mom said...

thank you for sharing such a beautiful celebration. i'm so sorry that your boys aren't with you (on earth; i know they're always in your heart). i love how you keep their memories alive.

meg said...

Oh Monica, this is so beautiful. The whole entire thing. The candles, the cupcakes, the balloons. And the trumpet at the grave site. I think you honored Jack, in such a beautiful way. By the way, their graves are lovely too.

Melissa said...

Wow - what an amazing tribute...

Anonymous said...

you are such beautiful wonderful parents. Phantom is one of my all time favorites and that is my favorite song from it. all I had to do was read the first two lines in the picture and I was singing it in my head and tearing up for you.
I'm telling you he is hurting and cares so much more than you realize. He loves you and the boys so much, he's afraid to hurt, see you hurt and lose another child. He will come around. I am so hugging you right now and wish i knew you in real life so I could.

ms. G said...

What a beautiful and wonderful way to honor Jack. It sounds like a very peaceful day overall. I love the party favors.

Coggy said...

What a beautiful day. I love the fact that you do so much for your boys and that they are such an important part of you life; just as they should be.

Those cakes looked yummy.

Becky said...

What a beautiful day Monica. Everything looked so beautiful. Your boys are so lucky to have you and Sam as their parents.

Virginia said...

I'm so glad you had specific ways to honor Jack. In four years, my husband and I haven't come up with a way to honor Ben, and I hate that, but nothing feels right. We light a candle from his memorial service on his birthday, but that's it. We come from families that don't speak of such things and that makes it hard. Neither one of us is pushy enough to force anyone into acknowledging his anniversary. Maybe we'll get that way. I don't know.

Ginny

Anonymous said...

What an amazing way to celebrate Jack's sweet little life. You did a wonderful job.

Jen said...

That is such a beautiful way to celebrate Jack's birthday. You and Mr. H are wonderful parents.