Thursday, March 24, 2011

An Update.

My doctor's office called me back on Tuesday with an appointment with the perinatologist. I went to see him yesterday at 3:30pm. I knew they'd do an ultrasound but that's all. I was there for 4 hours, here's what happened.

The sonographer did an ultrasound on my belly but because the baby is still so small (14 weeks, 2 days) she had a hard time seeing. they decided to do the ultrasound trans vaginally and while they could see better, the baby was fast asleep and not budging so they still couldn't see what they needed to. They looked at the brain and it's growing well, but they couldn't see the neck area to measure the thickness. So the doctor came in and tried to look for himself. No such luck.

They had me drink a bottle of water to fill my bladder. After about 15 minutes they came back for another look. Not enough water, so they gave me 4 more cups. 15 minutes later they took another look and all they could see was my overly full bladder! So I went to the bathroom to drain my bladder then they looked again.

We talked to the doctor about our options for learning more information about whether or not the baby had Trisomy 18. We were told that we could do a CVS test (Chorionic Villus Sampling) an Amniocentesis, or we didn't have to do anything. Another option was to just wait and check the growth and anatomy at the 19 week scan. Generally, Trisomy babies are small and underweight so monitoring the growth of the baby is a good indicator to whether or not the baby will have T18. However, this baby has consistently measured a few days ahead of schedule in the growth department so that's reassuring.

Anyway, we opted to do the CVS test because the results are back within 2 days (tomorrow) and it tests specifically for all Trisomy abnormalities. If we did the Amnio, then we'd have to wait until week 16 so do it and the results would take longer to get back. So we opted for the CVS test. What is a CVS test? Well they insert a needle into your lower abdomen and remove fluid from between the placenta and uterine wall. They then test the fluid to determine if the baby is at risk of any chromosomal abnormalities.

They can remove the fluid, one of two ways. They can go through your cervix to retrieve it or through your abdomen. While my bladder was still full, they tried to insert a catheter, the width of a toothpick, into my cervix, up to my placenta. They do this all by ultrasound so they can see what they are doing. However, my cerclage is holding tight (thank God!) and there was no getting through it. He tried a couple time to get through, without success, so he went in abdominally. The gave me numbing medication through a syringe. He numbed the area, then with the syringe still inside me, he poked around til he found where he needed to be (guided by ultrasound) then withdrew a syringe full of fluid. That hurt quite a bit, even with the numbing medication, but it passed rather quickly and once he was done, the pain subsided.

They are testing the fluid and "growing it" to see what becomes of it. They'll determine whether or not the baby had any defects and call me tomorrow. I was there til 7 last night, and the doctor, the sonographer and 2 nurses stayed there without complaint. They close at 5, but never did they make us feel like we were a burden. Or that we needed to reschedule during "normal business hours". We left feeling important and cared for. He and his staff really were wonderful.

On top of all this, I've been experiencing high blood pressure with this pregnancy. In a non-pregnant state, my BP is consistently 120/80 but with this baby is been a lot higher. It doesn't matter who's checked it or where I've been, the time of day, it's been running about 140/90 - 140/100. I've been concerned about it and the nurses have commented about it but not one doctor has said anything about it. The perinatologists office called today and they want me to take my BP 3x daily and call them in a couple days with the results. If it continues to stay high, then I'll have to get on medication to keep it down.

That's all I know for now. I'll find out the fate of our baby tomorrow and I'll fill you guys in on the info. Thanks for being there for me and wishing me the best. I'm trying to stay calm and breathe, but it's tough. This baby is definitely spunky and different than the boys. I have to keep telling myself that. He/she is keeping me on my toes!



erinunbe said...

Wow, that was a lot to endure at one appointment! I hope you are feeling hopeful! I am! Praying for you and that little bundle of joy!

Anna said...


I never got a chance to below- so I just want to tell you congratulations on the pregnancy.
I am praying and believing in God for a full term, perfect, healthy baby.

[The devil is a liar and as the god of this world is throwing all these things at you to make you nervous and worry. But stand your ground and recognize the source of your opposition. Be strong in the Lord and in the power of his might. For greater is He that is in you (Christ dwells within us), than he (satan) that is in the world).
Claim your authority in Christ and speak health, perfection, and long life for you and your unborn child every day. (and whatever else you desire of the Lord)
Mark 11:23 (Ask God for full term baby full of health, perfection, and long life at least 3 times daily, and you need to believe it only once.)

I continue to pray for you both in Jesus name. Amen.

God's favor on your lives.

Andrea said...

Your news makes me so incredibly happy :) I'm over the moon for you and filled with all thoughts positive. At our peri appointment, it went much like yours, the baby was not willing to budge his/her position. We did everything and finally he/she moved enough to measure the fold of the neck. We talke about other testing and opted out at the last minute. So far our baby is doing well and measuring on target at 34 weeks.

I'm holding you in my prayers, as I have followed your journey. May God continue to bless you.

missing_one said...

*hugs* sorry to hear you have to go through all that.

for BP: fish oil tablets help in addition to at least 30 min of exercise per day (walking, or elliptical or swimming are good)

Hang in there. Let us know how it goes.

bnjones said...

You have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I read about the baby on your food blog. I am so happy for you! Keep us posted! <3 Nina

Virginia said...

Fingers crossed for today....I think it's a girl. She's just giving you a head start on the rest of her life.

Cassie said...

I'm praying you get wonderful news today!

sapphireblue said...

Here's hoping everything will go just fine. I wonder if you might have to do a modified bedrest for the high bp. Either way, it will be worth it.

Rachel said...

I am glad you feel like you have caring doctors this time, that is wonderful.

I am certain your baby is OK. This is one prayed over child.

Let us know what the doctor says.

Anonymous said...

I'm just now catching up. I hope you will get a good result today! It is later afternoon here, so praying that you hear something soon. You have a stubborn one there:) I would have made the same decision that you did. Please let us know once you know.
I am too lazy to log in:(