"IT'S NOT THE LENGTH OF THE GESTATION, IT'S THE EXTENT OF THE ATTACHMENT."


Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Guess What?

Chicken butt. ha!

Just kidding. On the first day of the year while Mr. H and I were out in our front lawn trying to snap pictures of the fireworks our redneck neighbors were lighting off, in the freezing cold!, I mentioned to him that I would love one day to go to Washington DC on the 4th of July to see the fireworks. I lived there as a kid and I've seen them and they truly are amazing. I wish he could see them and I wish I could see them again. I know I'd appreciate so much more.

Well last week Mr. H asked if I'd like to go to DC. Uh, yeah! Except we're not going in July and we're not going alone. My MIL's cousin passed away and he was a Vietnam Vet and is been buried at Arlington Cemetery. I didn't know him but I heard he volunteered for 2 tours in Vietnam and that is truly something to be proud of. I think it's an honor to be buried there and we feel honored to have been included.

When I lived there, we literally lived right across from the cemetery. Like we could walk outside the building and cross the street and we were there! How cool is that? But I've never been to a military funeral despite being so close. And even though I've been to the White House and The Smithsonian, I don't remember any of it. I lived there 20 years ago!

So we're really looking forward to heading out of here and getting away for a few days. We'll be leaving in a couple weeks and so far the airfare and hotel are booked. We've bought warmer coats and long underwear because I'm quite certain I'm going to freeze. I don't do cold weather.

Anyway, if any of you have any recommendations on what to do other than the usual attractions or great places to eat, please let me know! We'll be there for 5 days. woo hoo!

11 comments:

Kristi said...

Enjoy your vacation, even though it's not under the best circumstances. Yes - such an honor!

Been thinking about you. Hoping for you.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful idea. I am glad you are going to honour him and the role he played. And I hope you have a wonderful vacation as well. I've never been there myself so can't suggest anything. But take lots of photos! x

Sophie said...

How fun!! I've always wanted to go to DC. I'm so close yet so far :P. I don't have any advice, but please post about your experiences and post pics! Have a great time, it'll be an awesome trip. I bet their 4th of July fireworks ARE something.

Celia said...

My only recommendation is that if you got to the Smithsonian, you really need more than one day to see everything. I ginormous!

Becky said...

Have fun! Sorry its not the best circumstances though. My aunt and uncle live there but we usually only go to their house. We are hoping to get there this spring to see the cherry blossoms and stay a few nights. I hear the air and space museum is very cool if you are into that. I've only ever been to the national zoo when I was little but I loved it.

Melody said...

Monica,

I haven't been to D.C. in a long, long time, but I love the New York Times Travel Guides On line and always use them when we travel. They give great recommendations for restaurants, lodging, etc. Tripadvisior is also good. I wish you were going when it was warmer and under better circumstances.

Mel

jaded said...

My mother has attended several military funerals (my step dad is in the military and unfortunately he has not returned always with all of the men he toured with). She has always said that they are absolutely breathtaking and moving.

Ha - I had no idea you were a north east native.

DEFINITELY attend the air and space museum - it is sooo cool.

Keep us posted as to when you will be going, ok?

Janet said...

Have a ball! Relax, sight-see, take lots of photos to share with me and just enjoy being away from it all for a little while. My husband was born and raised in Arlington and we lived there the first year of our marriage (1986) - I loved going down to the mall to visit the memorials and monuments after all the tourists were gone (around 2AM or later). It was so quiet and so meaningful. I loved everything about living there except the heat of summer, the cold of winter, the spring allergies and the fact that someone stole my car!

Love to you and Safe travels!

Virginia said...

I lived there from 1993-95.....SO long ago, that unfortunately I don't remember much to recommend besides the "usual" stuff. The Holocaust Museum is incredibly powerful but perhaps not the emotional event you need right now. Do one of the hop on-hop off tours, if they're running in Jan. I love the art museum. Enjoy the trip, despite the sadness, if you can.

Hennifer said...

I'm glad you are getting away, I'm sorry the circumstances.

I don't have anything off the beaten path to recommend but I do know from my visits there that whatever you choose you'll have fun.

There are great galleries, all the different Smithsonian museums, etc.

Not for the faint of heart, incredibly powerful, but the Holocaust museum is also there and life changing

J said...

Enjoy your vacation! Sounds like fun!!!