Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 12 and 13

Back to our regularly scheduled program.

Day 12- As I said in Day 11, we were completely worn out and I was a little sunburned despite dousing myself in SPF 55 prior to leaving the house. But seeing Mesa Verde was incredible and so worth it.

We hung out most of the day doing nothing. Mr. H ran into town to run a few errands, I stayed home with my in-laws and the dogs. Since it was our last night in Durango Mr. H and I decided to head into town for a nice dinner downtown. We went to Ken & Sue's on Main St and stuffed ourselves silly.

After dinner we walked around and visited a few shops and galleries that were still open. Then we went to The Strater Hotel's Diamond Belle Saloon. It was so much fun. There was a piano man providing the entertainment and a lady wearing fishnet stockings and a feather in her hair (and not much else). We had a couple drinks and went home to do laundry- fun :-)

Day 13- I don't even want to think about this day anymore. It sucked majorly. I think more than anything, I am disappointed in his parents. There was bound to be some kind of confrontation between us because...well just because. They get on my nerves because they don't know when to stop talking and bitching about everything. Sometimes enough is enough. And it was finally enough.

I haven't spoken to them since Wednesday night. In fact I didn't even speak to them at all during this whole ordeal . I just sat there and cried because I was so upset and they did all the talking...er, yelling. They left after dropping us off and we went up to our room. I think one of the reasons my MIL was so upset is because they reserved 2 rooms for us at a hotel. One for them and one for us. Of course this was after she told us to get the fuck out. We reserved our own room at a different hotel, thinking they were going to stay at the rental house. (They didn't stay in the rental property because the A/C didn't work.) I don't know what she expected us to do??? Maybe she expected us to do what she wanted us to do. What she thought was the "correct" thing to do. And by "correct" I mean what ever she says is "correct". Whatever.

We ended up walking about 3 and a half city blocks to IHOP because it was the closest restaurant to the hotel. That and because it was already 10:30pm and everything was closed. We did not enjoy our dinner. Not in the least. In fact I think we both cried at some point over our eggs- mine over easy, his scrambled. There were a couple families there. Even one with a crying baby.

We shouldn't have been at IHOP. We shouldn't have been in a separate hotel across town by ourselves. We shouldn't have had to look for a rental car at midnight. We shouldn't have had to drive 14 hours to get home. But we did. And we're okay. We still have eachother and that's all that matters.

* * * * *

I'll update tomorrow about our trip home. It was actually quite pleasant.


Rachel said...

I am glad the trip home was pleasant. Sorry the part right before that sucked. Families can be so frustrating.

JGirl2005 said...

I'm glad you had a nice time - except for the family part. That is always tricky.
How hot was it there?

Monica H said...

On most days it was in the high 80's, but since the altitude is so high (approx. 5700 ft) it feels hotter. I got sunburned on more than one day. In fact my arm got burned just from the sun coming through the car window. We were closer to the sun, so even though the temp wasn't as hot as it is here it felt much hotter.