"IT'S NOT THE LENGTH OF THE GESTATION, IT'S THE EXTENT OF THE ATTACHMENT."


Saturday, October 13, 2007

A 40th Anniversary Gift

It seems lately I can't do anything on my own, so I'm calling out for help again.

We are invited to attend a 40th wedding anniversary next month, where the happy couple will renew their vows to each other. They are my MIL's cousin and his wife. I don't know how exactly they are related to me, but they are really great and very special people. He is the chief of police and she is a stay at home mom. All their children are grown up now and she and her husband take care of each other.

This event we are attending is also an early celebration of Thanksgiving and Christmas. She was diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer that has taken over a large part of her body last August and they don't expect her to make it to the end of the year. We are all praying and remaining optimistic that she does, but just in case she doesn't, she will get to enjoy the holidays just as well.

She receives chemo every week and spends a great deal of her time in the hospital in pain. He does his best to show her she is loved and that he is there for her. She is a sweet, thoughtful lady who takes care of others around her, prepares all the meals for family gatherings, and loves her children and grandchildren immensely. He is a generous, kind hearted man that will do anything for anyone. They are givers.

My in-laws and Mr. H and I are flying up to see them next month. We have a couple ideas for gifts for them, but we don't want to give them something sad or impractical. No dust collectors either. I'm drawing a blank. Since we are flying, if it's not packable, we would have to ship it in advance. Has anyone been in this situation before? All suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

2 comments:

The Nanny said...

I've never been in that situation before, but how about a sweet letter to them, from you guys, saying the kinds of things you just wrote on your blog--it is clear you care for them and respect them. Tell them how much they mean to you, if they've been an inspiration to you guys (and how), etc. Also, maybe a donation to a cancer charity (or any charity) in honor of them? Lastly, and I know it's cliche, but I love candles and putting them all over. How about some nice, yummy smelling candles too?

Sorry I can't be of much help--those are just what I could think of!

Lori said...

I agree with "the nanny"! I think a donation in their name and a nice letter would be very welcome and appreciated.